Friday, July 20, 2012

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay
by Suzanne Collins




Synopsis:
Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Who do they think should pay for the unrest? Katniss. And what's worse, President Snow has made it clear that no one else is safe either. Not Katniss's family, not her friends, not the people of District 12. Powerful and haunting, this thrilling final installment of Suzanne Collins's groundbreaking The Hunger Games trilogy promises to be one of the most talked about books of the year.

Review:
What happened?!? Was this book written by a completely different author? I whole heartedly believe in finishing a series to see where it goes. We got so invested in Katniss and Peeta in the first two books, EVERYONE wants to know what the outcome is, right? I just don't know why the author took this book where she did, it is so disappointing.

Against all odds, Katniss and Peeta have survived two Hunger Games, but now the capitol wants revenge. With the discovery of District 13, the political and strategic intrigue increase. Katniss is forced to take a role of leadership in the district's rebellion against the capitol, but she is so damaged and traumatized from the Hunger Games that she can barely function. Peeta is injured so severely in the second Hunger Games as well and it is painful and heartbreaking to watch two people who have survived so much, be in so much pain.

I won't tell you how it ends, but I will tell you how it made me feel. I felt compelled to read the conclusion to this series, but this book was so dark and depressing that I just felt sad and somewhat sick. Peeta's problems are tragic yet somewhat understandable, but watching Katniss complete the downward emotional spiral she was in is just heartbreaking.

I didn't want my kid's to read this one, but I understood that when you get invested in a series, you need closure. So I warned them ahead of time how dark and depressing it was. We all finished it, but none of us liked it. It almost feels like a betrayal by the author to take these characters' lives where she did.

I don't recommend this book, but I appreciate the need to read it. I didn't write it, but somehow I feel a need to apologize for it, so “Sorry in advance.”

Intended Audience: Teens and up.

         Kindle                   Paperback            Kindle Bundle



Other books by this author:

No comments:

Post a Comment