Monday, August 6, 2012

A Big Little Life by Dean Koontz

A Big Little Life: A Memoir of a Joyful Dog Named Trixie
by Dean Koontz


Synopsis:
In a profound, funny, and beautifully rendered portrait of a beloved companion, bestselling novelist Dean Koontz remembers the golden retriever who changed his life. A retired service dog, Trixie was three when Dean and his wife, Gerda, welcomed her into their home. She was superbly trained, but her greatest gifts couldn’t be taught: her keen intelligence, her innate joy, and an uncanny knack for living in the moment. Whether chasing a tennis ball or protecting those she loved, Trixie gave all she had to everything she did, inspiring Dean and Gerda to trust their instincts and recapture a sense of wonder that will remain with them always. Trixie lived fewer than twelve years; in this wide world, she was a little thing. But in every way that mattered, she lived a big life.

Review:

First let me grab a Kleenex...oh my!

I love Dean Koontz, Lightning and Watchers are two of my favorite books of ALL time! I also love Golden Retrievers, we had a sweet little girl named Belle that we lost a few years ago that will always hold a special place in my heart. So...I am pretty sure Dean wrote this book just for me, but you are welcome to read it, too.


At first, I thought this book is going to have a limited audience, but after the first few chapters, this book transcends an author and his dog and illuminates the need we all have for joy and beauty in our lives. Trixie is the vessel that brought light and love in the Koontz's lives, but for others it can be other breeds, other types of pets, a hobby, a friend, or a child. The important thing is to recognize these vessels of joy and embrace them when they come into your life. 


I am so glad I read this book. It was sad, everyone that cares for a dog knows that eventually you will have to deal with it's loss, and meeting Trixie was no different. I came to care for her and the Koontz family through Dean's words and the beautiful pictures of Trixie. The loss of Trixie brought all the feelings back of the loss of my Belle, but it also brought back the beauty and joy of her life, too. That is a precious gift.  


Intended Audience: any


Kindle                 Paperback



Also by this author:
A Big Little Life
Watchers
Lightning

No comments:

Post a Comment